Watch President Paul Elliott’s address to Delegates to the Annual Meeting of the Provincial Assembly
( if not already registered, you can register your MyOSSTF account)
Effective July 1, 2016 OSSTF will begin collecting an additional dedicated strike fund levy at 0.3% of member pay in preparation for Bargaining.
Delegates passed a motion last weekend to approve a 0.3-per-cent levy to increase our member-protection account. The fund is used to cover strike pay and assist members in the event of job action. The fund intends to raise about $10-million a year and would kick in any time the balance of the member-protection account falls below $140-million.
It is clear throughout the discussion that many leaders (including myself) felt that in light of the new Central bargaining process and the eventuality of central job actions OSSTF must be prepared to take job action in the event that negotiations falter. More information will be provided to our reps at the next scheduled rep meeting in April.
It is important to note that the additional levy of .7% will cease on June 30th for members and the 0.3% will be implemented.
Attendance Management Update
The Board shared the following information with members.
- Clear Communication will be shared before April 1st to all employees about the Attendance Management program and the Board expectations about attendance
- The policy will be “tweaked”
- The BAR remains at 11 days in a 12 working month rolling period
- The date to begin capturing absences will be September 1, 2015 (not November 2014)
- a refresh of the program will be communicated to members
- 5 days or more with substantiated medical do not count towards the accumulation of absences.