The information contained in this update is relevant for Temporary Support Staff and Permanent Members and additional information can be found at http://www.omers.ca
Our work is not done as a union as we continue to provide information to members to keep you informed about your entitlements and rights a provided for in the collective agreement. I encourage you to become involved in anyway possible during the course of the rest of the school year.
I will continue to send informational blogs about the various ways member can continue to become involved and informed in YOUR Federation as well as continue to send informational updates about politics and those matters affecting education.
What is OMERS?
OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) was established in 1962 as the pension plan for employees of municipal governments, school boards, libraries, police and fire departments, Children’s Aid Societies and other local agencies throughout Ontario.
Regardless if you have been hired for one year or 25 years you should inform yourself of our OMERS Pension plan and your eligibility.
You can always contact OMERS for personalized information: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 1-800-387-0813
OSSTF will be holding an OMERS information session on Monday February 8th 4:30pm at the OSSTF office .
Did you know the Employer must offer you enrollment in OMERS once you have met the qualifying conditions?
- All permanent full and part-time employees are automatically enrolled in OMERS as OTCFT (Other than Continuous Full Time). We are OTCFT because we work 10 months of the year.
- But if you are not required to join OMERS, you may choose to join under certain conditions. (OSSTF encourages you to enroll at your earliest opportunity)
- As a Temporary Support Staff, the GECDSB must offer you membership in the OMERS plan if in each of two immediately preceding calendar years:
you worked at least 700 hours, or
you earned at least 35% of the Year’s Maximum Pensionable Earnings (YMPE).
- For 2015 you would be offered OMERS if you earned ($18,760)
- As a Temporary Support Staff, please take careful consideration before declining your membership in OMERS. If you think that you may be eligible for OMERS please contact the Payroll Department or Human Resources.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE HOW
- Previous employment or another part-time job with an OMERS employer could help you become eligible to be an OMERS member
- Once you join the OMERS plan, you cannot opt out. You can only end your OMERS membership if you leave your employer and transfer your benefit out of the plan.
Contributions rates for 2016 have been set at 9%.
Contributions from members and employers, together with OMERS investment returns, fund the pensions that members receive.
Ready to get started?
Register for myOMERS
To register for myOMERS, you’ll need the following information:
- Your OMERS membership/reference number, which can be found on the first page of your annual Pension Report if you’re an active member, your Annual Statement of Pension if you’re a retired member, or other personal documents from OMERS
- The last three digits of your social insurance number